4th Dimension have been running residential adventure courses throughout the UK and aboard since 1976, and courses at our Sussex based since 1980. We has an unrivaled knowledge of this location, which is reflected by the popularity and quality of the courses that 4th Dimension runs. Courses are based at Blackland Farm, the Guide Association campsite near East Grinstead: we are independent of any other organisation at this site. You can select the date and duration of your course and tell us which are your preferred activities from the list below (subject to availability). Contact us at any time to discuss any aspect. We can cater for up to 200 guests at a time in a variety of accommodation.
- we have a camping village with wooden framed, canvas covered shelters. A superb alternative to tents!
- 4 indoor lodges
- A combination of indoors and camping
We are very active and thoughtful in introducing new, purposeful activities to our existing range. 4th Dimension is the only organisation at our Sussex base who can offer Tree Track, Katakanu and the Stream Challenge which follows the course of the stream that flows through the location. This activity was devised by two of our previous NVQ trainees.
These are the activities from which you can select to devise the course of your choice. We can advise on the most popular and relevant. Click on each activity to see a description and photo.
- 2 Zip Wires, 240 ft. and 380 ft. long
- Tree Track
- Tunnel Trail
- Rock Climbing
- Tree Abseil
- Low Ropes
- All Aboard
- Elvis Dangle
- Jacob’s Ladder
- Log Walk
- Climbing Indoors
- Mountain Biking
- Team Building
- Crate Challenge
Wagtail Lodge This building sleeps 26 in 1 dorm and 4 staff in 1 room. There are showers, toilets, kitchen and a spacious meeting area. There is ample camping/marquee space immediately outside. Additional toilet and shower facilities are available close by for campers. Restrop Lodge This is situated next to Wagtail Lodge. It sleeps 22 in 1 dorm. And 3 staff in a single room. Facilities are as above, plus an open fire. Great for winter courses! Additional toilet and shower facilities are close by for campers. Weavers Lodge This is a very modern building. There are 4 dorms which each sleep 8 and 2 twin staff rooms. 2 meeting areas, a modern kitchen, drying room, shower & toilet facilities. Some camping is available outside. Additional camping facilities: 30 metres away with toilet/shower facilities.
Herons A modern building comprising 6 twin rooms and a dorm for up to 8. Full toilet, kitchen and meeting area facilities. Camping is available immediately outside. N.B. Herons is only available from the end of October to the end of March.
- We are the only independent company on this site to have our own self contained field near to toilet and shower facilities.
- Our new “camping village” comprises 12 canvas clad wooden framed structures with padded floors which are raised off the ground, that can accommodate up to 80 group members, plus visiting staff. This is an innovation for 2013 and is unique to 4th Dimension at our Sussex base.
- All our tents have sewn in groundsheets and are of quality brands. We do not use patrol style tents without sewn in groundsheets. Some visiting staff like to bring their own tents and caravans.
- Marquees are used for meeting and eating.
- Your group will need their own sleeping mats, sleeping bags and pillows.
- It is usual for guests to bring their own packed lunches on the first day of a residential course.
- Our professional outside caterer provides evening meals from his on site facility. We prepare breakfasts and packed lunches
- We are happy to cater for those children requiring specific diets, we just need the information two weeks before the course.
- Professional, well qualified and experienced instructors comprise our core staff. They know our practices and procedures comprehensively
- Our customers regularly comment that a major characteristic of our staff is the fun they bring to the course.
- We also have a commitment to introducing new, young instructors to the industry and so run a NVQ L2 Modern Apprenticeship in Outdoor Leadership, working in parallel with our senior staff. This gives us a tremendous variety of effective instructors. Several of our current senior staff have progressed through this route. We strive to keep an equal balance between male and female staff
- Visiting group leaders appreciate and applaud these policies and our staff development programme.
We provide risk assessments, policies, licensing information and insurance details on a CD to make it easy for you. Download a Sample School Programme