What is happening at 4th Dimension following the outbreak of Coronavirus (Covid-19) and Lockdown

Update – January 2021

Happy New Year from all of us at 4th Dimension! – We hope that you had an enjoyable Christmas and that you and your families are both safe and well.

2020 certainly proved a difficult year for everyone, including us and all of our friends and colleagues in the outdoor, leisure, tourism and hospitality industries.

Following the positive news before Christmas that the Covid-19 Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine had been approved, then shortly after the second Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine in January, we are optimistic that a return back to some form of normality is now imminent.

Unfortunately, and after last night’s announcement from the Prime Minister, with the new strain of Coronavirus spreading rapidly across the Country, we are unable to update any further as to when a full return to activities may be, however we are hoping that this will be sometime before Easter given the speed of the vaccination roll-out.

We are also hopeful that some areas of our delivery that constitute as Education and Training, such as curriculum based training (including the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme) and professional courses may resume before this time. 

In the meantime, we continue to follow Government advice and guidance and look forward to working with you all again as soon as it has been deemed safe to do so.

Please feel free to contact us should you have any concerns around current or pre-planned bookings, or wish to reserve dates for your trip later in the year! Our team are still working and happy to answer your questions by phone or email. 

Stay Safe!

From March 23rd 2020

  • 4th Dimension has comprehensive risk assessments which allows us to run a large number of our activities including the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme. we are running these in co-ordnance to the latest government guidelines. This is re ex-amend on a weekly basis.
  • We have taken the decision not to cancel any of our pre-booked courses and are looking at ways to find solutions for each and every one of our clients. This could include re-arranging for later in the season or moving course dates to 2021.
  • If your course has been affected by the Pandemic, please feel free to contact us to discuss alternative arrangements. All of our clients have different requirements. We are therefore looking at each one on an individual basis rather than coming up with a generic decision or answer. Our email addresses and telephone are still being monitored throughout the week, so please feel free to contact us should you have any concerns and we will do everything we can to address them.
  • We will ensure we meet the requirements of our Insurers, Activities Industry Mutual (AIM), and follow advice from our Professional Associations and the Department for Education (DfE) before returning to business as usual. Once things start getting back to what is now being dubbed as the ‘new normal’, some activities will inevitably require a pragmatic and mutually agreed approach between 4th Dimension Ltd and our clients.
  • For those clients who are booked to complete their Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme Expeditions with us, we have been developing additional and alternative guidelines with a view to making our expedition process as ‘Covid Secure’ as practicable. Coronavirus is a threat to us all, no matter where we go or what we do. However, SAGE evidence suggests that outdoor activities may present a lower risk of virus transmission. We are of the view that encouraging young people to continue with their expeditions when it has been deemed safe to do so is very important to help promote mental and physical wellbeing.
  • Although these are constantly under review as we monitor Government advice, you can view our updated Risk Benefit and Management documents for the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme by following this link http://4thdimension.co.uk/d-of-e-and-covid-19/
  • The combination of fresh air and sunshine has been stated by the Prime Minister to be ‘bad for the virus’ making the outdoor environment ‘safer for everyone’.
  • We do hope that you and your families are keeping safe and well. We very much look forward to working with you all again as soon as we have been given the go ahead and feel that it is safe to proceed.

September 2020 Update

  • At the moment, it is unlikely that any of our weekly school residential trips will run in the foreseeable future. We will be governed by guidance from Local Education Authorities (LEAs) on when or whether they will allow school trips or ‘off-site’ visits to commence.
  • We are currently running the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme at all levels. There are some temporary changes however so please contact us for more information at info@4thdimension.co.uk

June 2020 Update

  • As the Government restrictions continue to ease, we are hoping to be in a position to start delivering certain activities over the coming months.
  • At the moment, it is unlikely that any of our weekly school residential trips will run before September. We will be governed by guidance from Local Education Authorities (LEAs) on when or whether they will allow school trips or ‘off-site’ visits to commence.
  • However, we are hopeful that we may be in a position to re-start DofE expeditions once the camping guidelines have been relaxed and we have been given approval to do so from our Professional Associations.
  • The DofE have recently announced on their website, that some temporary rule changes to expeditions will be made to reflect the unusual circumstances that we are currently facing. These include:
  1. Relaxing the rules around recommended environments, so that participant’s don’t have to leave their local area to complete an expedition – for example, Gold expeditions would be able to take place outside of wild country.
  2. At Silver and Gold level, practice expeditions and qualifying expeditions can now be delivered ‘back to back’.

This is a positive outcome for those of you who are / were booked to do your Gold expeditions with us. It may be that we can facilitate this for you from our site locally, which will avoid the requirements for minibus travel to more remote areas. We will contact all of our Gold participants to discuss this in more detail once we have more information.

  • Should the approval for DofE expeditions to commence come before the reopening of Blackland Farm, we will still be in a position to facilitate these from other venues if necessary.
  • In the meantime, stay safe and keep checking back for updates on our website as the guidelines continue to change!

We are still taking calls as normal so please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.

Lastly, we’d like to wish you all the best through this terrible time and hope to see you all as soon as possible when our centre reopens

The 4th Dimension team

Back to top